by Lynd Morris
Have you been wishing you knew a few more people who could communicate with you from an awareness of the beauty and universality of needs? The Capital NVC database now includes more than 1,000 people and all of them are invited to gather for our community celebration from 11:00 to 3:00 on Saturday, January 9th, at Maitri House in Takoma Park, Maryland.
Meet other people practicing NVC, share a potluck lunch, and hear about some of the inspiring peacemaking projects members of our community are engaged in. There will also be an empathy room for people to receive and offer empathy (coaching will be available for those who’d like it); a space for youngsters to play (unsupervised); an area for posting NVC- and other peacemaking-related resources, flyers, and books; and a chance to talk about what support you’d like to receive for growing NVC in yourself and to offer for growing NVC in the Metro DC area.
Letting us know you are coming (and the number of people you may be bringing), will allow us to set up the space comfortably. Just send an email to Ryan McAllister any time before January 9th. But, if it works better for you to decide at the last minute whether or not to come, that would be fine, too—you (and your family) are welcome.
Please consider bringing:
• A potluck dish (be prepared to list ingredients for people with food allergies) and serving utensil
• Plates and cutlery for everyone in your party
• Folding chairs/backjacks, if you have them
Please consider offering to:
• Arrive up to an hour early to help set up (let Ryan know if you can do this, if you RSVP)
• Stay a little late to help clean up
• Rotate through the empathy room to offer your compassionate listening for 15-30 minutes or so.
• Bring NVC- or peacemaking-related resources to post/share
• Hang out in the children’s space to get to know our youngest community members and provide time for their parents to get/give empathy, eat lunch, or participate in any of the presentations.
Our tentative schedule for the day:
11:00 a.m. – Noon Welcome and social hour
Noon – 1:00 p.m. Potluck lunch
1:00 – 2:30 p.m. Presentations and practices
2:30 – 3:00 p.m. Closing circle/celebration
3:00 – 4:00 p.m. Clean up
11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. Empathy room and children’s space
Contact Ryan McAllister if you have questions or comments regarding any aspect of our upcoming community gathering.